Friday, July 19, 2013

Arugula Walnut Salad with Fig Balsamic

Untitled

This June, I took part in a student exchange where I stayed with a super nice French host family in a town in Normandy called Caen. The father cooked dinner pretty much every night, the mother made me lunch, and my host girl and I ate breakfast together every morning while their cat drank cucumber water. And every morning, we had tea and toast. There was a cabinet in their kitchen full of tea from Earl Grey to Darjeeling and Twinings to Dammann. I'm no tea connoisseur, but I did bring back a bag and a tin of loose tea. Alongside our tea, we had toast with jam.  Similar to the tea, they had about every kind of jam you could think of. My favorite? Fig.

Although I've never been a huge fan of jam because I don't like how sweet it is, this fig jam was the perfect amount of sweet and I just cannot express how much I love this fig jam. So, I brought a jar back with me. Unfortunately, it was gone within about 2.5 weeks (I have since found another jar of fig jam at the store), but before I parted with the last of my favorite jam, I made this salad.

So, what might fig jam have to do with this salad? The dressing. Oh yes. This salad has a really incredible dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red onion and fig jam. Fig jam! In a salad! It's genius.

Untitled

So, this dressing is where we begin this dish. It's super easy. Just put all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake until they are combined.

Untitled

Untitled

Next, we shave Parmesan. 

Untitled

Then, toast your walnuts and get ready to combine all of these great components to make something even greater. 

Untitled

Arugula is the common friend in which the dressing, Parmesan and walnuts are able to express their flavors with each other. 

Untitled

Fig balsamic dressing!

Untitled

Walnuts! 

Untitled

And lastly, remember to serve with shaved Parmesan. It's the final touch to your perfect meal. I hope you love this salad and it's dressing as much as I do!

Untitled

p.s. this would be a great thing to make this weekend.

Arugula Walnut Salad with Fig Balsamic
serves 3
from Shutterbean

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon fig jam
2 tablespoons minced red onion
salt and pepper
5 oz. arugula
1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fig jam and red onion in a jar. Season with salt and pepper. Place a lid on the jar and shake until the dressing ingredients are well incorporated.
In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, walnuts and dressing. Serve with the shaved Parmesan.

16 comments:

  1. Anne Leader ReasonsJuly 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM

    Elizabeth - I love everything bout this salad. One of my favorite Lunch restaurants near Norte dame had a very similar salad but without the figs. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had fig jam - my life is incomplete! This salad looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How good is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that sounds so great. we obviously need to plan a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fig Balsamic sounds AMAZING!

    These are some gorgeous photos - specially love the jar with the window in the background! Beautiful!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the big shavings of parmesan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne ~ Uni HomemakerJuly 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

    All my favorite ingredients in a salad. This looks wonderful and it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something so romantic sounding about tea and toast with jam. Like a throw-back to a Victorian novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth, you practically read my mind with this salad! I just came into a lovely bunch of figs and fresh peaches. I'm going to make a spin on your lovely salad--the dressing looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. kirsten@FarmFreshFeastsJuly 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM

    I have a preference for fig jam--and it's not the Bonne M-something red checkered lid kind, it's the Adriatic Spread orange lid kind--because I'm a huge fan of fig jam, goat cheese, and prosciutto panini. And of course I took those flavors and threw them on a pizza too. ;) I'd bet using the dregs of my fig jam jar to mix up a batch of this dressing would be delicious on an arugula salad--thanks, Elizabeth! Sounds like you had a lovely time during your exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  11. figs and peaches... that sounds so incredibly delicious and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is such a coincidence that you mentioned those two brands because I actually bought the Bonne Maman preserves, the Adriatic Spread kind and since two just didn't seem to be enough I bought a third kind but I've only tried the Bonne Maman brand so far. I'll have to give your favorite a try! Also- fig jam on pizza!? I will most definitely be trying that with goat cheese the next time I make pizzas. Yum!! Thanks for all of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. indiaandworldcuisine.blogspotJuly 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM

    loved the idea of fig jam and balsamic, walnuts add a depth of flavor to this perfectly crisp and yummy salad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This salad has everything I love. Haha the other day I was at a restaurant with my mom, and she prodded at her salad and told me, "Oooooh, try this leaf, I really like the taste!" Turns out it was arugula... maybe I'll make this salad for her ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i used to not like arugula, but now i love it!!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...